Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Sunday, June 21, 2009

100th Post!

It's my 100th post! YAY!

I guess after Christine's contest, this post might be a little anticlimactic considering there is no prize for this blog. I am one broke chick! Paying for school stinks. And swipes all your money.

But I thought nonetheless, I will do something special for my 100th post. Since it's a big feat for me. I have tried to keep blogs in the past and it's never worked out so well. But with motivation from reading friends' blogs, I have been able to keep this one running! And it's so fun to blog, even when there is nothing to say. Because it's your blog. Who's gonna tell you to shut up on your own blog?

Ahem.

Anyway.

I decided yesterday that tonight I would post a review of the move UP for my 100th post. And now that I am back home from the theatre, I am so glad this is the topic I chose.

Let me tell you: That is one special movie.

I don't see too many movies in theatres. I choose carefully which one to spend the money on. And Jarred and I love going to see Disney Pixar movies. Our first date was to see Meet the Robinsons. I have wonderful memories of that summer at PU going to see Ratatouille. And we were beyond excited to see Wall-E. So yes, we love those movies.

The movie UP happened to be one of those movies that you see previews for and scratch your head, thinking Disney has finally gone off the deep end. But the closer the movie got to its release, the more we found out about it. Yet still, the movie was such a mystery. Did anyone know what it was about? Because what I thought it was about was not at all correct.

I don't want to give away too much of the plot, because I really want everyone to go see it themselves. But here goes...

The movie begins with a young Carl Fredricksen watching a movie of the famous explorer Charles Muntz. He is fascinated by exploration.
Carl meets a girl named Ellie who is also an explorer.
The next few scenes are of Carl and Ellie getting married and living their life together. The scenes are so heartfelt; ones of them taking picnics and cleaning their house together and holding hands while reading in their armchairs.
Eventually, life catches up to Carl and Ellie. Ellie passes away and Carl is left on his own. He is obviously very sad and lonely.
That is when Carl meets Russell, a Wilderness Explorer scout who wants to help Carl cross the street so he can earn his 'Helping the Elderly' badge.
After a scuffle with a man over Carl's mailbox, Carl is ordered to a retirement home. But Carl has another idea. Leftover from his days of working at the local zoo, Carl inflates tens of thousands of balloons to lift his and Ellie's house off it's foundation so he can finally go to South America to explore. He and Ellie had made promises to one another to someday go to find the Paradise Falls.
Does Carl find the Falls? What happens with Russell?

Just watch the movie in theatres!

I cried so much during the movie. During, like, the entire movie. Seriously. My eyes are all puffy and swollen. Jarred commented that the movie really wasn't for children. I agreed. Movies that Pixar has come out with lately are more for adults. The subject matter is something a child would not understand. The deep love Carl and Ellie had and his sense of loss when she is gone is very apparent. It really touches you.

What did I get from the movie?

To always have an adventure. Life isn't terrible, even when we are sad. And on the other said of tragedy, life can be happy once more.

My favorite character, Carl Fredricksen

Probably J's favorite character, Dug



2 comments:

  1. wow! now I want to see it! and lately, a lot of kid movies really aren't for kids... weird... i wonder if my 4-yr old nephew would like it. he probably WOULD, but he wouldn't get part of it. but he would just smile anyway and look at the pictures, ya know? it'd probably go right over his head, and he wouldn't even know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see it! :) Oh, and CONGRATS on 100!!!!! Weeee!

    ReplyDelete