Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Monday, May 25, 2009

JK8

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It just wouldn't all fit into the status bar of Facebook.

I guess for the first time I am going to be 'one of those bloggers' that writes about a pop culture event.

What am I talking about? Something that is so ridiculous, when you really think about. Something that is totally nunya, when you really think about it. Something that none of us should be wasting our breath over, when you really think about it.

I'm talking about the impending Jon and Kate Gosselin divorce. 'Cuz you know it's coming.

I have watched nearly every episode of that series. So I feel like I'm one of the fans that has some credibility. (Isn't that ridiculous for me to say? That I have more definitive say about their relationship than others?) But hey, they put their lives on TV, so we Americans are here to talk about it.

This post will be chock full of silliness. So get used to it. Or stop reading right here. That means you J, because you will bore yourself to death. Go play some Grand Theft Auto, Sweetie.

Anyway, it pisses me off when I read people's snap judgments of Jon, when tonight's episode was the first one they have ever watched. I tell you what, Americans love misery and tragedy. I bet tonight's premiere had sky high ratings.

My mom stopped watching the show a while ago. And I really don't blame her. I mean, with all of Kate's germaphobia, and organic-ness (even though she uses paper plates for every meal) and Jon's non-existent balls when it comes to standing up to his wife.

People have been saying that Kate is a tad bit controlling for years. This show is in its 5th season and I'm not sure anything has really changed. Except for the fact that the two no longer sit on the couch together to do interviews.

Basically the episode tonight was about the sextuplets' 5th birthday party and Jon and Kate avoiding the subject of their impending divorce. The body language Jon and Kate were giving off during the birthday party was horrible. It made me want to shake the TV screen and yell "Jesus, just get it over with and end it!" They both seemed miserable and it made me feel so uneasy watching it. I mostly feel bad for the kids, because children really do pick up on how much their parents hate each other.

Once Jon and Kate were being interviewed about their relationship, it was very obvious that both of them have mentally checked out of the marriage. Kate began crying when she was being interviewed, saying that the sextuplets' birthday pictures might be the last ones of the entire family.

Let's just get this straight - I don't know them aside from what I see on the TV. But hear me - I do not feel bad for this woman. Yes, she is a career mom. I want to be a career mom too someday. I don't want to be a stay-at-home mom. My mother was SAH. So was her mom. J's mom was a SAH mom. There's nothing wrong with that. But there's also nothing wrong with wanting to contribute monetarily to the family by going and getting a job. There is nothing wrong with both parents working outside the home.

I do have an issue with parents who say they are working 'because of the kids." That everything they do in their job is for their kids, yet their actions tell a different story. How many weeks at a time is Kate away from her children? She is traveling and promoting her book. Jon quit his job a few years ago so he could be a stay-at-home dad, while Kate promoted her book and the show. If I remember correctly, during the finale of season 4, Jon made reference to the fact he didn't want to film the series anymore, but Kate really wanted to keep going. Possibly for money? Um yeah, I'd say so.

I'm not here to bash Kate, even though if a 'regular' woman had the same personality Kate does, she'd just be considered a bitch.

Also, I don't believe much of what is in the tabloids. The magazines that are spreading the rumors of Jon cheating on Kate with the 23-year old and Kate cheating on Jon with the bodyguard are the same magazines that report stories of women giving birth to aliens through their nostrils.

I am going to make a case for Jon to all those people out there that are hurling insults at him, that he's a 'jerk' and whatnot.

How? How is he a jerk? He has stated plainly that he is here for his kids. Maybe he's just a jerk that's a good father. He's the main caregiver of those children and I don't blame him for feeling burnt out on the marriage when it is obviously not an equal relationship. As Mom said, it takes two to make a marriage and it takes two to make a divorce.

I am so sick of hearing of this 'sanctity of marriage' stuff. If two people are so unhappy in a marriage, I see no point to continue. Sometimes two people just grow apart. It can happen at any point in life. I mean, who gets married thinking that they might divorce the person if it doesn't work? Unfortunately, probably more people nowadays think that than I'd be willing to acknowledge. But all the same, I don't believe marriage is a 'wait and see' thing. Of course it's serious business. Marriage should not be taken lightly. But neither should a divorce. If a marriage is more detrimental to a person's happiness than it is a benefit, I don't understand why divorces are so looked down upon.

Whatever Jon and Kate decide, I hope it is mutual and that they have exhausted every other resource to help their marriage. If it is beyond repair, then I hope they make decisions that will help them become fully happy in life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment