Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Thursday, May 14, 2009

How to Make a Fabulous Lunch

Today I made one of my favorite meals for lunch time. It's my couscous broccoli chickpea salad. I've put up pictures so anyone who wants to make it, just follow my lead!


Cut up however much broccoli you want. Make sure to wash it! If you don't care for broccoli, you could cut up some carrots or peppers.

Spray some canola oil into a pan. Never, ever drizzle the oil, it's just wasted calories. Besides, you'll get flavor from the garlic I add later.

I also get out some sprouts from the fridge. These don't need to be cut up of course.

Add the broccoli and sprouts to the hot pan. Allow to cook until tender.

Now it's time to get out the couscous. One serving is normally 1/4 a cup, so I cook up 1/2 a cup so I will have leftovers.

There's the 1/2 cup! Reminder: Make sure to read the directions on the back of the couscous box. It will surely tell you exactly how to prepare it.

The broccoli and sprouts look like they are almost done, so quickly add a good heaping of garlic. It may look like you are adding too much garlic, but just remember, it will also flavor the couscous.

The couscous is boiling! Stir the couscous quickly until no water is left. Don't mind the directions after this. Immediately take out of the pot and put into your serving bowl.

Now that the couscous is in your serving bowl, fluff it a bit with your fork.

Dump your broccoli and sprouts and garlic in with the couscous.

Next, add some chickpeas. These are a great source of protein! Beans are a great alternative to meat for a meal. I'm not saying give up meat completely, but trust me, you don't need steak, chicken, pork, etc in every meal as much as you think you do.

And there you have it. A wonderful meal. I drizzled some light herb dressing on the salad to really give it a kick. Coupled with water. What a good meal! Now I might go have a graham cracker with peanut butter for dessert!

1 comment:

  1. Yum-- we eat this all the time -- with GF couscous or Quinoa~! :) Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete