Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Angels and Demons

Just got back from seeing the new movie! And I give it a great rating! I just finished up the book earlier this week to get prepared for the movie, even though I really didn't need to. The movie doesn't really follow the book, but what based-on-a-book movie does?

I found the movie to portray the Church in a good light despite what some may think about it. By the way, Dan Brown is a Christian, as is J.K. Rowling, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. The books are in the "fiction" part of the bookstore anyhow.

It's interesting how movies or books like Angels and Demons can speak more to me about faith than anything else. I don't see it as Christian bashing and it makes me feel more for my religion than a lot I sermons I've sat through. If you haven't read the book, it asks questions about the relationship between science and religion. It also questions what real faith is and how powerful blind faith is. I won't give away anything that happens, but the faith the preferiti cardinals had in God is amazing. Their stories are so heart wrenching. Again, I know it's just fiction, but it still affects the reader profoundly.

I started thinking of my own faith after we got back from the theatre. In the movie, the camerlengo asks another character whether he believed in God. The character responded by saying, "Science tells me God must exist. My mind tells me I will never understand God. And my heart tells me I am not meant to."

That statement just may sum up my whole experience with faith. I know God exists, I do not understand Him and I don't feel I am meant to. But that's okay. I'm not sure anyone was meant to fully understand God. Would there be any need for religion if we actually got it? As I have said before on this blog, I am a person of quiet faith. Maybe one would not see me as a religious person at all, I don't know. I have messed up, as has everyone in life. But just because I do not profess my faith through loud means does not mean I have none.

I feel so many read the Bible for its answers on how to live. But I take the Bible as a way to help me feel. I have always felt that was the most important aspect of my life, how to feel my faith. Of course I want to live it, but as my father has said on numerous occasions, "At the end of life, do you believe Jesus died for your sins? That he is your savior? That is more important than good deeds and going to church every Sunday."

I believe that too.

At Granddaddy's memorial, the preacher talked about his faith. Granddaddy didn't necessarily wear his religion on his sleeve, yet you could tell he was a man of God from he way he lived his life. He was kind and generous to others because that's what he felt in his heart.

People's takes on religion are so interesting to me, I love to hear new ideas on faith because in most cases, it would be an idea I have never thought of. That's the beauty with all faiths (not just Christianity). Maybe we are all worshiping the same deity, but we see Him in different lights. Scientists have seen faith through the God particle and Christians see God as the Almighty who lives in us. Same things maybe? Just different ways of explaining a higher power.

My favorite part of the book is exactly that. It really bridges the gap between Christianity and other religions. It does not question what any believe, but rather asks the reader to stop and think out of the box about religion. Like I said, maybe it is all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment