Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chocolate Brownie-Like Cookies

I need a chocolate fix sometimes.  Maybe it's because we don't buy it ever.  But I keep cocoa powder on hand all. the. time.

I wanna make chocolate cake?  Cocoa powder.

I wanna make brownies?  Cocoa powder.

And tonight I wanted to make chocolate cookies.  Voila.  Cocoa powder.

For quick recipes, I usually search the Internet.  It can be hit or miss dealing with online recipes.  But this time, I struck gold.  I mean, if Jarred actually likes it, it's gotta be good.

I found this recipes from The Joy of Baking, but I've changed the recipe slightly.  I mean, who keeps unsalted butter on hand anyway?  Expensive!  Also, I used a medium egg instead of a large and I think it worked just fine.  There's only a slight difference in weight between a medium and large egg anyway.  I also would advise checking your cookies at the 10 minute mark.  Put a toothpick into one of the cookies.  Because though mine looked done on the outside, the inside was still a little wet.  Depends on the oven of course.

The original recipe called for salt, but I like to kill two birds with one stone.  It's called margarine or spread.  Buttery taste and texture and  it's salted.  Done and done.  Cookies don't need to be fancy.  They need to be tasty.  I also would love to try dark brown sugar instead of light.  I normally like dark brown better but I bought light brown last time.  Bummer.  If you've never substituted dark brown sugar for light, you don't know what you're missing.  Rich.  That's all I'll say about that.

And yes, that is imitation vanilla you see.  We're cheap when it comes to food.  But we eat well.  Have you seen our little belly pooches?  I couldn't stomach $6 for vanilla extract when Kroger was selling imitation for 99 cents.  Same with the spread.  $1.88.  Can I taste a difference?  Heck no! 


The recipe as is will not make 24 cookies as stated.  I think I got 17 or 18 cookies.  Though that's all fine and dandy, I feel like that's still a big discrepancy.  And that's considering the recipes says it will make 24 3 inch round cookies.  Of course, those who write recipes are magical and are able to do the impossible with their food.  If you're them, I'm sure you'd have no problem getting 24 cookies.  But for the rest of us, you'll get around 20, at most.

It's still completely delicious.

My batter could be mistaken for brownie mix.  Someone should try making this recipe but pouring the batter into a greased 8x8 dish to make brownies.  Yum.

I will totally make these cookies often.  I always have the ingredients on hand and it takes me roughly 30 minutes start to finish.  I'm tempted to try the recipe as the aforementioned brownie mix.  Seriously.

I'll be back sometime this weekend with more pictures.  Until then, I truly hope everyone has a wonderful Holy Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. I know for a fact these cookies are yummy! Hum..how about making some for Easter! Hint!

    ReplyDelete