Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

These Times Are Hard

When Jarred and I were coming home from seeing our NC families, we finally turned on the radio an hour away from home.  I love Top 40 music and keep up-to-date with current music.  But a song came on I didn't recognize.  It was The Script's "For the First Time"



Listening to it, I got choked up and began crying.  I don't think Jarred noticed.  The lead singer kept repeating "We're trying to make it work but man, these times are hard".

I feel hopeless a lot.  Jarred and I so desperately want a home.  But it's only a dream we have right now.  We both understand that not everything will fall into our laps.  In fact, nothing does.  But I sometimes wonder if we're the only ones struggling.  Are we the only ones with student loans weighing us down?  Are we the only ones that want a home so badly but can't even begin to save for a down payment due to bills and aforementioned student loans?  Are we the only ones who aren't throwing caution to the wind and starting a family, regardless of finances?  Because it seems that way, especially with so many of our friends getting married and immediately beginning their lives.  But of course I know Jarred and I aren't alone.

Maybe all those who are struggling feel the same -- alone.  And with that knowledge, I try to think positive.  Jarred and I will appreciate our someday home so much more than those who don't have to spend time saving and waste tears bitterly wishing some luck would come their way.  From car repairs to medical bills to gas prices and outrageous utility bills, sometimes I feel that Jarred and I can't catch a break.

I think the one thing we're not doing is looking towards God.  Even though He knows how many times I've shed tears over our life, He still wants me to talk to Him about it.  I know God can't magically provide us with enough money to buy a home, but he can give us the drive to keep moving towards our goal.  I will admit to Him though, even as humans go, I am very impatient.  And envious of others.  While I don't mean to sound like all I want to do is 'keep up with the Jonses', I just want to have a place my husband and I can call home.  No matter how small.  I can do without new cars, clothes, and everything else.  I just want a home.

In the end, I know God hears me, but it's difficult to believe that our situation is going to get better any time soon.

2 comments:

  1. Your not alone--- don't worry owning a home will happen for you guys!!! :) Just keep the faith! I have a similar dream but know it might take awhile with all the moving I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I admit though, it's a buzz kill to hear about others buying homes.
    But in all reality, I can hardly keep up with our tiny apartment, so I don't know what I'd do with a house!
    It's not for laziness, but maybe more because a certain nubby-tailed fur-kid is so messy!

    ReplyDelete