Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Friday, March 18, 2011

Balsamic-Glazed Steak

As promised, I am posting the steak recipe I mentioned a few days ago.  I prepared the steak before lunch so there would be time for the flavors to really sink into the meat.

Here are our players:
Again, click the picture to see it up close.  And please excuse my 'balsmaic' vinegar typo.

There aren't any measurements for this recipe.  Sorry.  I will tell you about how much I used though.

Directions

1.  Rinse flat-iron steak and pat dry.  Sprinkle salt and pepper onto both sides of the steak .  I didn't measure, but I gave both sides I nice dusting of both.

2.  Pour balsamic vinegar into a sauce pan.  I used about 1 cup of vinegar, but could have gotten by with less, maybe 1/2 cup.  Turn heat on high and begin whisking until vinegar begins to slightly boil.  Make sure you are always stirring the vinegar or it will burn.

3.  I whisked for about 20 minutes to get the desired syrupy consistency.  I added sugar to sweet the sauce up slightly.

4.  Once vinegar has turned into a syrup, add 1 tablespoon of garlic.  We love garlic, which is why I used to much.  It's your decision really.

5.  Brush balsamic vinegar reduction onto both sides of steak.  

6.  Pan-fry the steak for up to 5 minutes on each side.  Remove from heat and slice steak into strips.  Add strips back to pan until the middle of each strip is light pink.  I prepare our steaks medium-well, so the pink is almost completely gone.

I would recommend keeping a bit of the glaze to spread on top of the cooked steak, just in case someone wants more of a punch of flavor.

And that's it!  We never have anything like this for dinner because of the expense.  Jarred got a nice gift card to our supermarket for Christmas and I bought us some nice meats with it.  I serve raw veggies as a 'salad' and cook up some butter beans/lima beans and green beans or corn.  All with a crescent roll!

Cooking for Jarred, especially when he is sick makes me happy.  Today has actually been a good day, unlike yesterday.  But the past is the past.  And we move forward :)  



2 comments:

  1. Okay so when are you going to make this at my house! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever you want! It was good but the reduction was a tiny pain to make. I'd occasionally get a good whiff of the vinegar and have a coughing fit!

    ReplyDelete