Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Potato Soup: Redeux

When I thought out this post, I was certain that I had featured this soup on M+J.  But apparently not.  I looked on my camera and found old pictures of the soup-making process that I meant to share.  But I never got around to it obviously.  So the title is really a lie.  There's no re-do except for in my head.  I've always wanted to post a redeux however, so the title remains.

I love this recipe so much -- I guess Jarred does too.  He at least eats it.

I love potatoes already, but adding butter, milk, cheese, bacon, and sour cream makes something magical.  It's creamy and savory -- the latter being my favorite taste bud to tweak.  I have made this soup so many times over and have really worked the ingredients to make a near-perfect soup.

Here's your ingredients line-up.  Please note that if a specific measurement is not given, that means to add as much or little as you want.  But I will gladly give you my recommendations.

(Can't see the measurements?  Click the picture for a better look!)

I make this soup for 2 people , but my measurements could make about 8 bowls.  Double the recipe if serving to a family.  Trust me, there will be leftovers and they will be eaten! 

Directions
1.  Bring 6 cups of water to a boil.  Peel and cube 5 medium/large potatoes while the water is heating up.  Once water begins to boil, drop in potato cubes.  Cook until tender.
2.  As the potatoes are boiling, melt down butter in a pot.  Add 1/3 cup flour to make a thick butter paste.

3.  Slowly add one can chicken broth to butter paste.  Pouring the entire can at once creates clumps.  Once broth is incorporated, slowly add the milk.  Heat liquid until hot, stirring occasionally.

4.  Carefully add cubed potatoes to the pot.  Do not stir potatoes too much or they will break apart and dissolve.  

5.  Add cheese to the soup mixture.  I usually use about 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.  But I've also used Velveeta which makes for a creamier soup.  If I use the process cheese, I use 1/3 of a block. 

6.  Once cheese is melted into the soup, add 4 oz sour cream to mixture.  Use less if the family is not wild about sour cream.  But I insist on using at least a little because it gives the soup a nice kick and makes it even creamier.  

7.  Ladle soup into bowls and top soup with bacon, cheese, and/or green onion if desired.  Enjoy!


I normally serve the soup with some kind of vegetable.  Today we ate cut up bell pepper with it.  Raw veggies are so much cheaper and easier to prepare than salads.  While I appreciate a good salad, the ingredients can get a bit pricey and lettuce from my supermarket is terrible.  Jarred and I have begun buying frozen vegetables with only a few fresh (cucumber, tomato, pepper) here and there.

Next up, I will be featuring a steak with balsamic glaze recipe later in the week.  Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment