Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Simple Ways to Happiness

I want to begin a new blog series about happiness.  The title of the post is very self-explanatory.  Today will be about one way I get happy.

I've been more cheerful these past few days.  Feels good.

Jarred is still pretty sick but stayed home Friday and went to the doctor.  Got a shot and some antibiotics so I hope he'll be feeling much better very soon.

I made us some chicken salad for lunch this afternoon and it was great.  There is a sandwich and ice cream shoppe here in town that makes great chicken salad without celery (important!) and I could eat it every day.  I didn't have grapes, which is what this shoppe uses, but a green apple.  I had a chicken breast left over after  making Monday's stuffed shells dinner, so I thought chicken salad would be a good use for the breast.  I added a bit more sugar than I thought I would need, but it turned out to be perfect.  Slapped on some toast, it was perfect.  Too bad I didn't get a picture because I was proud.

Jarred and I got to talking about money and came to the conclusion that we shouldn't depress ourselves further by being so hard about not spending a dime.  Yes, we want so badly to save money for a house, but can I be honest here?  Right now, I'm tired of being depressed about it and I'm tired of worrying about saving every last penny we can.  I'm tired of saying "No, no, no" to everything.  It's not as if we go out and buy fun items all the time anyway.  Hardly ever.  So rarely in fact that I get excited to grocery shop when I get to buy something that's not a regular on my list -- like laundry detergent or mascara.  Seriously.

So we went out today for just a little while (since Jarred is still feeling a bit sick) to the mall.  We went to Yankee Candle and I bought an electric tart warmer and 16 tarts.  And I used money gifted to me by grandparents from our trip.  So I ended up spending a little over $11 of our own money.  Big spender here.

I get excited about candles.  Because they can last forever if I use them in a warmer.  Even when I'm in a bad mood, the smell of Seaside Holiday or Rainforest or Early Morning transports me.  And I'm happy.

So yes, it may be silly, but I've found a simple way to happiness through the sense of smell.  I also guess that a clean, good smelling home is happier than one that smells of nothing!




No comments:

Post a Comment