Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Favorite Cleaning Products

I've been trying especially hard nowadays to keep our apartment clean.  I got into such a funk and was mopey and depressed about the state and smell of our home.

We live in an apartment that is not very insulated.  We put up curtains partly to keep utility costs down because we could feel air rushing into the the apartment through gaps in the seal.  Besides for higher heating/cooling costs, we have neighbors that smoke outside.  And that comes in through the window cracks too.  Even though neither Jarred nor I smoke, our clothes, furniture, appliances, and everything smell like stale cigarettes.  I haven't been wanting to spend a small fortune on air fresheners since they can get expensive fast.

When Jarred and I were in NC for Spring Break, I pulled my clothes for the day out of the suitcase.  It stunk.  So did my windbreaker.  Being away from the apartment, I noticed the smell right away.  Gross.  The smell was so rancid, it gave me a headache.  And then I'd had it.  When we got back home, I went to the grocery store and ended up buying a Glade PlugIn and solid air freshener because a stranger gave me a nice coupon they weren't using.  I also got the strongest scent I could, which ended up being Apple Cinnamon.




(Photos courtesy of glade.com)
This stuff works.  I love coming into the apartment and smelling something other than smoke.  It smells nice and I restocked this past Monday. I believe I payed around $5-$6 for the Scented Oil twin refill.  Each once lasts around 2 weeks.  So $6 per month for the Scented Oils.  I don't know how long the solid air freshener will last, but it's holding up well and next week will be going into week 3.


Some people really like hardwood floors.  I think they're a pain, especially with a dog.  But carpet also sucks, so which is the lesser of two evils?  I love my Swiffer WetJet, but honestly, it's expensive.  I hate buying the refills of cleaning pads and solution.  Hate.  It drains the wallet so fast.  Last Sunday I saw an advertisement for Rubbermaid's Reveal Mop.  It's just like the Swiffer, but reusable.  Comes with a microfiber pad and refillable solution bottle.  I found it on sale at Target for around $24 and bought an extra pad for $5.  I used it right when I got home. 

(Photo courtesy of amazon.com)
Love. Love. Love.  The pad is much bigger than the Swiffer pad, so it takes me less time to mop.  And there's no batteries that power the squirter, unlike the Swiffer.  The Reveal has a lever you pull and solution squirts onto the floor.  Simple.  I recommend using distilled water because tap water may clog the mop.  I'm surprised that only now have companies come out with greener solutions to cleaning. 


As for all-purpose cleaners, I use Mr. Clean.  Love the Meadows and Rain Febreze scent and can use it for floors, kitchen, and bathroom.  

 (Photo courtesy of mrclean.com)
Since I only have to use a small amount for effective cleaning, I feel like I am saving money by buying this.  We don't really buy name brands except for when it comes to cleaning.  We buy generic dish soap and detergent to cut costs where we can.


I've also learned a few tricks to keep everything smelling good.  I bought a box of fabric softener sheets and hide them everywhere!  I have them tucked in drawers, shoes, and tacked to the walls in our closets.  I'll change them out once the scent it gone.

I'm not good at keeping things clean for very long, but I'm trying.  Maybe that's a good thing about still being in an apartment.  I can hardly keep up with this, so how am I going to keep a house clean?  Something to keep in mind....

2 comments:

  1. Apple cinnamon is my favorite scent! And it is def. an apartment thing- every weekend I feel like I am playing a huge game of cleaning catch up! :) Love the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple smell always gave Mom a headache so we never used it in the house. But it's the only scent that's worked on this apartment!

    ReplyDelete