Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Thursday, June 30, 2011

What Politics Mean to Me

Jarred and I had some good banter last night over potential presidential candidates for the 2012 election.  We're both interested to see who pulls ahead as the forerunner of the Republican party.  Jarred and I always agree politically, but I feel that he's a bit more conservative than I am when it comes to social issues.  But we're par for the course when it comes to fiscal issues.

Yeah.  That's right.  I'm a big bad Republican.  Or so that's what liberal media would have you think.  Here's the three myths about Republicans that bother me the most:

Myth 1:  Republicans are anti-Robin Hoods -- they take from the poor and give to the rich.

No, I don't want the government kicking the 'poor' to the curb and giving tons and tons of money to big businesses.  But I do believe in trickle-down economics.  Give money to businesses, they will be able to use that money to create more jobs that will benefit those in lower tax brackets.

Myth 2:  Republicans are against assistance programs.

No, I don't think government assistance programs are bad.  I just think our government has gotten pretty lax on who is able to be on programs like Medicare.  Spend one hour sitting in your local SSA office and you'll see what I mean.

Myth 3:  Republicans are against women's and gay's rights.

No, not all Republicans are vehemently against abortions and gay marriage.  My opinions?  I believe life begins at conception.  However.  I have never been through the pain of rape or incest.  I believe I have absolutely no right to tell a woman who has gone through such tragedies that she must keep the baby.  If that thinking makes me 'pro-choice', then so be it.  However (again).  I also believe that there should be absolutely no federal funding of abortions.  If a woman decides to end a pregnancy, she pays for it.  Not the American taxpayers.

Gay marriage.  I'm tired of this issues, so let's just say above all, I don't think there should ever be a federal law put in place concerning abortions or gay marriage.  I 100% believe that each state should decide for itself.  If 25 states pass bills allowing gay marriage, I'm cool with that.  Just let the states decide.  That's so important.


My opinions about social issues are never set in stone.  My views on fiscal issues are.  I identify with the Republican party simply because I favor their financial stance above the Democrats'.  The economy is terrible so I believe social opinions are arbitrary at this point.  Let's get the country back on track!

So for that, sorry POTUS, you won't get my vote in 2012, much like you didn't in 2008.


For what it's worth, yes, I believe in the separation of church and state.  But most Americans don't actually understand what that part of the First Amendment really means.  It means the federal government won't establish a national religion.  That means every American has the right to worship any religion they choose, or no religion at all. 

As I am a Christian, I often wonder whether Christian lawmakers have a difficult time forming opinions about issues without taking religion into account.  I try to separate my religious views from my political views and don't let one influence the other.  I'm not sure whether that's the best way to go and I'd be interested to know what Christian lawmakers do.  The Bible tells me how I should live my life and how I should treat others.  While government laws also technically do that too, it's for different reasons. 

One of the 10 Commandments is "Thou shalt not kill" meaning as a Christian, it would be wrong for me to take another person's life.  As a follower of Christ, I should love all people and seek forgiveness rather than vengeance.  Under our government, one can't take another person's life and not pay a price.  These laws are set to keep order in our country.  It's the same laws or commandants -- but they're there for different reasons.  While I agree with both the Commandant and laws that prohibit murder, I don't think the US should have a law against taking another's life because I'm a Christian.  I believe it is morally wrong to kill another human.  I don't think morals and religion are inclusive.

This entire post was spurred by an hour of sifting through my other blog.  I came upon this post with a video.  I think it states perfectly how many Republicans feel.  Jon McNaughton has recently come out with another video about today's Christian.  I think it's worth a watch:


No comments:

Post a Comment