Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Friday, October 7, 2011

BourbonTown

Day trips are the best. While they still cost money, day trips seem to be just enough for both our wallets and our minds. We're able to get away for a few hours and have fun. Just what the doctor ordered.

Okay, so Jarred and I aren't too unconventional, but we don't make a huge deal out of things like anniversaries or birthdays/holidays. The reason I say this is because for our 1 year wedding anniversary, we had originally planned to take a day trip to some bourbon distilleries. 

Yeah...

But that trip never actually happened.  Of course, Jarred took me to a botanical garden and art museum and the best friggin' restaurant ever in Nashville.  Germantowne Cafe, if you're interested...

Ahem.  Anyway, we finally took the trip to the Bourbon capital of the world, Bardstown, today.  How marvelous it was.  Aside from the fact that the tour was free, the plant wasn't busy and we got our very own private tour. 

Behold, Barton 1792 Distillery!  I wasn't aware at the beginning of the tour that we could use our cameras and I am not displaying photos of the actual distillery or bottling plant.  We went into those too, but I dunno, I just feel weird about showing them.

Outside one of the rickhouses.  Huge!  And there were so many scattered along the property.

 
Inside the rickhouse looking up the elevator shaft.  No one can use it -- gotta climb the stairs to the top!


Huge barrels full of bourbon! Some are aged for 10 years!


Inside the rickhouse was so cool. I think Jarred wanted to skip through it touching all the barrels!




This huge barrel was made by a local high school shop class as a monument to be placed at the welcome sign to Bardstown.  Officials thought it was politically incorrect.  How?  I dunno.  So Barton got it.  Pretty neat!



Jarred was happy!



Yes, of course I had to get a shirt.  Duh.



Totally recommend Barton's or just Bardstown in general.  Very cool and informative tour.  Did you know that there are more barrels of bourbon in Kentucky than there are residents?  Yes.  Be blown away.


Pugly Pixel:  Staples and Tape

3 comments:

  1. I did enjoy the trip! You got a t-shirt, I got a bottle of bourbon and we both got some bourbon glasses and memories to last a lifetime! A return trip will definitely be a must!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bourbon sound like brother............ and well me....
    Hope you guys had a good time!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also like your new design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete