Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Beginning of the Inspiration

Alright, so as I wrote about around this time last week, Jarred took some vacation days that coincided with my fall break.  While we went to fun places like the distillery, we also hung out around town.  Meaning, we went to the mall and Barnes and Noble.  Favorite. 

Though we like going to the bookstore, we never actually buy anything.  First, we don't have enough room, and second, we don't have enough room.  Get it?

This trip was different.  I had a plan of action.  If you'll see in my sidebar, I'm a pretty huge fan of Design*Sponge.  Huge.  And thank goodness Grace Bonney, in all her glory, came out with a book.  When I heard about it, I nearly peed myself.  But only nearly.  I had been eyeing the book since it came out in September, but wasn't sure whether I wanted to buy it justyet.  But then I thought about it before we went out that afternoon and was all "Heck yeah I'll buy it!".  And I never looked back.  Best purchase ever.  I spent the rest of the afternoon rifling through the book and having my child-like vivaciousness moment of "Wows!". 

Then I started walking around our home looking at what I could do.  And thus I began costing Jarred money.  Sorry Sweets!  We promptly went to Lowe's and bough the supplies needed for my redesign project.  I was giddy with excitement. 

Too bad I had to wait a week to actually begin...

Yesterday while over at my parents' house, I finally got to finish the first project:  filing cabinet redo.  My parents bought me a little metal one right before I went off to college.  It proved very useful, especially in storing valuables away from questionable roommates.  I spent one evening drawing all over the filing cabinet with Sharpies and pasted wallpaper cutouts of cats on it. 

Fast forward to rightnow and the cabinet was still in the exact same state.  I figured the metal cabinet could be something easy to repaint and update.  How right I was.

Just for reference, we went to Lowe's and bought Valspar Premium Enamel spray paint in Primer White (65054), Gloss Exotic Sea (65201), and Gloss Clear topcoat (65058). 

Jarred and I buff off some of the Sharpie marks I had made and peeled off the wallpaper cats.  After sanding, I took some wet paper towels and wiped clean.  Just yesterday, I sprayed the cabinet.  The primer wasn't as great as I thought, but the color and sealant were tops.





I think it turned out great, don't you?

Soon, our computer room will be looking as updated as the cabinet.  I have some other projects to start soon.  The desk you can barely see in the second photo?  Yeah, that's getting painted.  Major.  I spilled polish remover all over the top a few weeks ago, so I'll be glad to cover that spot.  This project may take longer, but I hope to have photos up within the next month. 

Have a happy next week!

4 comments:

  1. The cabinet looks great! Sure would look good in my craft room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You buy it, I'll paint it. Deal? Deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! The cabinet looks awesome! At first I was sad to see the cats go, but you did such a good job on the update that I like this better! Looking forward to see what you do with the desk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desk re-haul shall be commenced... tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete