Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Thursday, August 18, 2011

At His Level



Whenever I take pictures of Louie, I like to sit down at his level.  He's generally more receptive of a clicking camera when he can walk up to it, sniff it, and size it up.  Once realizing that no, the camera won't get him, he likes to model.  I only wish I had one of his ears all perked up.

Getting on the ground to take the photos always makes me think of the photographer Tony Mendoza who is well-known for his photographers of a cat named Ernie and his dog Bob.  All the photos are taken low to the ground at the pet's eye level.  Makes for a really interesting photograph.

I don't take photos because I think I'm any good at photography.  I'm only slowly learn how to properly use my camera.  I probably post pictures that would make photo-enthusiasts scream in horror.  But I'm not looking to take photos worthy of being hung in art galleries.  In fact, I submitted tons of work to an art show a few years back and every piece got rejected.  Apparently the female judge was looking for pieces that employed classic techniques and naturalism.  Meaning no abstraction.  Which is what I did.

I did cry a bit.  I was upset that I had worked hard on all my pieces and none got in.  But come time for the open art show, my pieces had the best reception.  I even scored my first commission.  I painted a piece that would become the artwork for an album cover.  The husband and wife team even framed me a plaque with the album inside.  A proud moment for sure.

Anyway, I'm not a great photographer.  But you know what?  I love my photos.  They are absolutely my style.  I love portraits.  While I don't understand other people's never-dying propensity to photograph flowers or skylines, I won't knock it.  I simply enjoy something different.

When I look at a photo I've taken and I smile, I know it's a good one.  Because Lord knows I take plenty of bad ones.

I don't ever take pictures that don't need at least a tiny bit of editing.  That's where I am completely lost in the dark and just tweak certain toggles until I think the photo looks better. 

Regardless of whether I am destroying my photos with bad editing or not, I never want to lose the reason why I took the photo in the first place.  Take the two pictures of Louie.  I took those because of his face.  He has the sweetest, kindest eyes and cutest little tongue that always sticks out.  There's a look in his eye in the first photo that I love.  I can't pinpoint what emotion he's portraying; possibly thoughtful.  The second is simply a visual love letter to my dog and his sweet innocence.

I don't think anyone should be afraid to take photos.  The only way I can possibly get better to to learn more and try more!

No comments:

Post a Comment