Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Friday, September 25, 2009

Try my recipe! TRY IT!

It's feeling a lot more like fall weather here. I can't wait to break out the sweaters and sheepskin boots (And yes, I do also have a pair of Uggs. Don't hate.)! I've already pulled my cords out of the bin and have been wearing those to work.

Fall is so beautiful and there is nothing better than the warm smells and tastes of fall food. To get into the spirit, I concocted up a recipe for cinnamon apple bread. It is being used to get rid of some apples I picked up at the farmer's market. I had a feeling I would never eat them, but I don't want anything to go to waste. It's so hard to really cook for two people anyway. We normally have so many leftovers, and then those never get eaten.

So here is my recipe for Warm Cinnamon Apple Bread:

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1 apple
cinnamon, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine dry ingredients (except cinnamon) and cream butter and brown sugar together.
3. Slowly add dry ingredients to the butter and sugar, mixing on low.
4. Add the eggs, continuing to mix.
5. Chop the apple (I use Golden Delicious) very finely and add of mix
6. Add cinnamon. (I added this ingredient last because it gave me ribbons of cinnamon throughout the bread.
7. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Easy recipe! And I did it all myself.

Some points on the recipe:

1. I use dark brown sugar because it has a stronger flavor than light. My recipe doesn't call for vanilla extract, so the dark brown sugar gives it that sweet flavor. But if all you have around the house it light brown sugar, just add maybe a 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract or imitation.
2. You may also want to sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg or allspice on the apple itself once you chop it up so the spices can really infuse the apple.
3. Another good alternative could be using a can of pumpkin for pumpkin bread. Just omit one or both of the eggs.
4. If you want the recipe to be eggs-free, use some applesauce!


UPDATE: I tried the bread almost right after it came out. It was so good! It had a nice thick outer crust and a soft, dense inside. Perfect.

I'm thinking of making two other loaves. One for Mom and Pops and maybe Mom can give the other to C.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am so glad this school week is over with. But next week is going to be tough. I have two tests back to back on Tuesday and I hope to make time to meet with my French group again. But we'll see. All depends on work. Adding work to school next week officially makes it HELL week. The tests and projects that are due next week is getting me all in a tizzy, plus we have inventory next week and then getting a truck right after. F-U-N!

Poo.

1 comment: