Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Monday, September 6, 2010

Fall is Here -- And so is Apple Bread!

This post was first featured on my now defunct blog, M&J Hooray!

I love fall. I love the changing seasons and the changing colors outside and everything is cool and crisp. I just love it.

In honor is Labor Day, we took a trip to the apple orchard outside town for Apple Fest.

We got a bag full of Jonathan apples -- perfect for Apple Bread!

I want to share this recipe, since it's my very own. I tried to perfect it last year and I think I have the consistency down. I am still working with the measurements of spices.


MandJHooray! Apple Bread

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour (unbleached)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup room softened butter (1 stick)
2 eggs, beaten
2 medium size apples (tart apples work best)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Cinnamon
Dark brown sugar
Nutmeg
Cloves
Allspice

Directions:

Set the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a bread pan with butter or shortening.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Whisk together to blend, but do not sift ingredients.

In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together until color of mixture is a pale yellow. Next, add the two beaten eggs and vanilla to the wet ingredients. Stir together until a smooth consistency has been achieved.

Chop apples into bite size pieces. Feed apple pieces into a food processor to shred. Add apple shreds to wet ingredients. Combine flour mixture and wet ingredients, stirring until a smooth dough has formed. Dough will be slightly tacky.

Dust dough with cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. The more spices added, the more flavorful the bread will be. Blend spices thoroughly into dough, then spoon dough into buttered bread pan.

Bake in oven until bread is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. In my oven, the bread bakes for about 40 minutes, but times will vary.

Once bread is done, remove from oven and let cool in bread pan for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and set on rack to finishing cooling.

Slice and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment