Home About Contact Art Photobucket

Thursday, January 20, 2011

After-Christmas Creations

This post was first featured on my now defunct blog, M&J Hooray!

Hey bloggy world! I'm back from my intentional hiatus.

For realsies hiatus. I meant to take a break because I knew nothing would be going on during the first part of January. So pointless posts would abound. But I thought it best to save you all from the misery and just not write.

But now I'm back and I've had some time to think of post topics. But this one is going to be devoted to life from Dec 25th, 2010 to right. now.

Christmas was good. Jarred and I stayed overnight at Mom and Dad's because the snow was bad and we were to get together around 9 a.m. to open gifts. If you want to see pictures, I have them posted to Facebook. I don't feel like posting them here.

These past few weeks have been pretty boring. There hasn't been much for me to do. Scratch that. There hasn't been much that is necessary for me to do. Cleaning being one of those.

But this week has been pretty awesome!

On Monday, I made a cute little bed caddy for Jarred. Since the bedside table got moved over to my side, he doesn't have anywhere to put books, iPod, or tissues. Now, voila! He does. I didn't take a picture because the fabric isn't exactly manly. It's pink, blue, green, and yellow striped. But it's all I had!

Yesterday, I spent my day making a sweet little bunting for our bedroom door. Nothing really matches in our apartment, but dammit, it's cute.

I came across a super rounded bunting tutorial at Pickup Some Creativity. Here's my version:


I love it! It took me around 2 hours to make it start to finish. Make a Christmas one to wrap around the tree, make a colorful one for a birthday party, or just use it like Jarred and I do and stick it in a weird spot.

I have found a new blog to follow: Aunt Peaches. This woman is genius! I will be using her idea of coffee filter flowers and making some this weekend. I'm still a total Ashley Ann girl, but Peaches' use of flowers makes my heart sing.

Peaches totally gave me the idea to make another bunting for the living room. Using coffee filters. It may not be Valentine's Day, but we're thinking of leaving this sucker up all year round.


I've been talking with Mom about what it means to like the shabby chic look. But I'm not so sure that's what I'm after. I think I'm more going for a 'kindergarten chic' look. I'm just glad Jarred lets me do what I want.

Lastly, I had a very special project which involved some very old doilies. Ashley Ann should be proud.

Some of those doilies are older than dirt. I'm totally not saying I have family members older than dirt, just that the doilies are. I stitched them together to make a runner. I got the vintage apothecary bottles from Hobby Lobby. I'm thinking of dousing the pine cones with silver glitter.

And last thing I did today? Got my hur cut. To be honest, I've been really wanting a completely new style for a while. I've been dying to get a pixie cut, but I got a resounding 'NO!' from my sister when I told her. Bummer.

So I decided to go short, but not pixie short. I'll gradually go shorter. Maybe. Probably.

But either way, I look fierce baby!

See? Fierce.

I haven't had bangs since kindergarten. And I don't remember the last time my hair has been this short either. I got a good 6-8 inches cut off. It feels awesome. And I got a bunch of hair ripped off my bushy eyebrows. That didn't feel so good.

It's great to be back on Blogger in this new year and I hope this blogging year is as good as the past. Our 2 year anniversary is coming up in February. Hopefully MJH will have many more!

2 comments:

  1. Well shoot, now You gone and made me feel like a celebrity! That valentine garland came out terrific. Well done!

    Also, love the doily runner. I have been collecting them from thrift stores in hopes of making one of these: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/look/doilies-and-lace-lampshades-078432

    ...we'll see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally cool lampshade! I read on all my favorite blogs that doilies are easy to come by at thrift stores, but I think I need to dive deeper into where exactly thrift stores are in my area.
    I think doilies are beautiful - especially the older, intricate ones.

    ReplyDelete